Sunday, January 16, 2011

Being Stupid

I made steaks for dinner tonight (they were quite tasty).  Despite the warnings in the manual for the grill, and multiple close calls, I forgot to burp my grill before opening it while grilling at 650°.

Since the grill is air tight, the only air that comes in goes into the bottom vent and comes out the top vent, a sudden rush of oxygen will ignite spectacularly. I had my eyes closed so I didn't get to see what the flash looked like, and I've never heard a sound quite like it so I can't describe that either. But it did burn off a bunch of hair on my arm, face and head and I got a very mild burn on my arm.

I may not be able to describe what it looked or sounded like, but I can tell you what it smells like. The burnt hair and skin smell like burn popcorn.

If anyone is looking for effective and efficient hair removal techniques, a flash from a Big Green Egg will do quite nicely.

2 comments:

More Bacon said...

I'm still disappointed that there isn't a fun picture of it all. Maybe you should start filming your grill usage so that we can all see at least the event since the injury isn't that cool in its aftermath.

Probably scared everybody in your house!

LL said...

Crazy! Glad you're ok.

I never knew you could burp a grill. Do you just pat it on the back or something?